I’ve never been good at saying goodbye.
Last week I quit the job I had been working at during the last year. I had been working in the kitchen there, nothing special. But nevertheless I’m going to miss my coworkers, the way they made me laugh and have fun during work. To make farewell a little sweeter, I brought cake – no big surprise, is it?
As spring is arriving with its beautiful fruits, I made cupcakes with strawberry frosting. Also, I baked my ultimate chocolate cake, and I tried something new: an apple & almond tart.
Whole-grain crust with a hint of cinnamon, a layer of marzipan covered under the last of fading winter’s apples. A few caramelized almond slices on top and done is this simple but good tart. Ready to be enjoyed in its crumbly, juicy and sweet yummyness (is that a word, yummyness? Anyway, I hope you know what I mean to express). And it is able to bring comfort, to make people smile, even at rather sad occasions.
|Apple and almond tart
makes one 22cm tart
180g whole grain flour
120g + about 30g butter
60g + 3 tbsps. granulated sugar
1/2 – 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
2 tbsp. powdered sugar
1 tsp. kirsch
2-3 tbsps. sliced almonds
- Put flour, 60g granulated sugar and 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon into a bowl. Cut 120g butter into cubes and add them to the other ingredients, then carefully knead everything together until you have got an even dough. Taste and if you’d like a stronger cinnamon flavor, add remaining cinnamon. Try not to overknead the dough, just until all ingredients are evenly combined. Roll the dough into a ball, cover with clingfoil and put into the refridgerator to rest for half an hour.
- In the meantime, clean and core the apples and slice them thinly (about 2-3mm thin), then set them aside.
- Put marzipan, powdered sugar and kirsch into a bowl and knead until everything is combined. Take the marzipan batter out of the bowl and roll it into a circle of about 20cm.
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees C/350 degrees F. Line a 22cm cake pan (I used a springform pan) with baking paper or butter it and set aside.
- Take the chilled dough out of the refridgerator and put it into the prepared cake pan. Press it flat into the pan to form the crust, make sure to form a little surrounding edge.
- Put the marzipan circle on top of the crust and then stab a few times with a fork through the marzipan and crust layer.
- Place the apple slices on top of the marzipan layer and top with the remaining 30g small chunks of butter.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, then take out of the oven and let cool.
- Put 3 tbsps. granulated sugar into a pan and heat on the stove carefully. When just caramelized, add sliced almonds, mix, and quickly decorate the cake with caramelized almonds before the caramel hardens.