It’s strawberry season! At least here in Germany, those red cuties can be found everywhere at the moment. At the supermarket, the farmer’s market, or on top of cupcakes. These cupcakes here, for example.
A few months ago I found a recipe for vegan strawberry cake and wanted to try it as soon as there were fresh strawberries available again. So I baked cupcakes out of the batter, topped them with whipped chocolate ganache frosting and some more beautiful strawberries. People at the Kü-Ché liked them pretty much, so I thought I’d share the recipe with you 🙂
|Strawberry cupcakes with chocolate frosting (adapted from Kurryleaves) || vegan
makes 12 cupcakes
1 1/3 cups all purpose flour
2/3 cups sugar
0,75 tsps baking soda
1 pinch salt
3/4 to 1 cup strawberry puree (about 300g strawberries)
1 tsp vanilla
3/8 cup vegetable oil
1 tsp. white wine vinegar
200g dark (vegan) chocolate
30g vegan butter
150g vegan whipping cream
1 tsp vanilla
100-200g strawberries for decoration
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees C. Line a cupcake tin with paper liners and set aside.
- Put dry ingredients (flour, sugar, baking soda, salt) into a bowl and mix until combined.
- Put strawberry puree, vanilla, vegetable oil, and white wine vinegar into another bowl, mix, then add them to the dry ingredients. Gently fold in just until combined, try not to overmix.
- Fill the batter into the prepared paper liners and bake for about 15-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Remove them from oven and let the cupcakes cool completely before frosting.
- For the frosting, chop vegan chocolate roughly and put into a metal bowl. Add butter, whipping cream and vanilla and set over a pot with hot water. Let everything melt in the waterbath, stirring occasionally.
- When melted, remove bowl from the pot and let the chocolate mixture cool down to room temperature.
- When cooled to room temperature properly, the mixture should be still liquid or at least soft. (If not, add more vegan whipping cream and melt again, then let cool to room temperature again.)
- Carefully whip up the cooled chocolate mixture until light and fluffy.
- Pipe the frosting on top of the cupcakes, then add a strawberry for decoration. Enjoy! 🙂